Monday, July 24, 2006

Three Times Equals God Talking

I have a rule that was established early in my life... When I was 17, I had a wonderful mentor, Diane, who told me, "If you hear it once, listen... If you hear it twice, listen harder... And, if you hear it three times, it is God talking. You better do whatever you heard." This has become a hard and fast rule for my life. There are times when I can follow God's guidance without having to hear it three times. I celebrate the times when I "intuitively know". However, I am certain there are things I have heard more than three times, but I wasn't listening. I imagine God tapping Her foot and shaking Her head during those times.

Yesterday, at church, I had the opportunity to meet the wonderful Reverend Leo Booth, known to many as Father Leo. Father Leo was raised Catholic, became an Episcopal Priest and later became a Unity minister. He also works closely with persons suffering from alcoholism and a host of other addictions. I was able to spend a little time conversing with Father Leo. What a blessing! I shared with him that I had been taking the Unity Today course online, with the ultimate goal of becoming a Licensed Unity Teacher. He listened intently and said, "Now, why wouldn't you want to be a minister?" Father Leo is originally from England. Perhaps his accent is the thing that makes his words sound so much more important. Later, when I was bidding him good-bye before Reverend Christy (our minister) took him to the airport, he again said, "I think you want to be a minister."

The thing that Father Leo, or anyone else for that matter, didn't know is that this summer while teaching Yoga, I really had a sense that I am supposed to do something else... Something to enhance the spiritual development of people here on the Gulf Coast. It would be wonderful to have some type of wellness center to support people of all faiths. The thing I know for sure is that teaching in a public school is indeed rewarding, but there are moments I have clearly seen that the solution we are seeking in education is a spiritual one... American education is attempting to fix all of society's ailments, and failing miserably in its attempt. Schools are responsible for academic achievement of all students. We have implemented character development programs, parent outreach programs, and most recently, the state is pushing for fitness and wellness programs because our students are too fat. Schools are trying to fix all of society's problems. But, what if society's problem is that of spiritual ailment?

The thing I know is that while the statistics don't show our schools as successful, I received a letter from a former student. Michael was in my resource class during his 4th and 5th grade school years. He is now living in Maryland and is performing well in all regular education classes. At Danielle's registration at Gautier High School, I was approached by a young man in an ROTC uniform that inquired, "Aren't you Ms. Maxwell? You were my favorite teacher." One at a time, I have been able to make a difference. That's because Spirit touches people's lives. God makes the difference. I try to bring a level of love, acceptance and honor to each of my students. If I'm successful, then God has worked through me. However, I am limited with what I can say and do in public school. What would it be like if I were able to work with learning disabilities by teaching students meditation to work through mental blocks? I do teach some meditation strategies, but again, I walk a line with regard to the mention of God. Then, understand that I am in the deep south. Most people here still regard God as the man in the big chair up in the sky with the long, flowing white beard. Any idea that threatens that idea is sometimes not met kindly.

So far, though, I have been presented with wonderful opportunities to "minister" to children, even in the absence of being a formally trained minister. My position as an inclusion teacher, my Summer Scholars Yoga class, my position as a Unity Sunday School teacher, and my role as Mom to two lovely daughters with significant health challenges have all afforded me opportunities to teach children ways of becoming aware of the Christ presence within. Further, every experience allows me a choice to draw closer to God, becoming more willing to listen and follow the guidance I'm given. Whether or not I always hear or follow is another matter altogether.

The main thing that is different about me today versus a few years ago is that I am willing. I want God's will in my life today. I'm no longer afraid of anything God has in store for me. I know that I will be given the strength and wherewithall to do whatever I am called to do. So, I hear it once... I listen. I hear it twice... I listen harder... I hear it three times, and it is God talking. Only once in a while do I respond, "God? You can't be serious! O.K. O.K. I'll do it."

~Namaste'~

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I'll be praying that as God opens up the door of opportunity for you, that you'll have the faith to proceed--even if it takes a little prompting.

Your story reminds me of Samuel. I'm glad that you have learned to respond as he did. "Speak Lord, for your servant hears."

Blessings to you as you follow God's leading in your life.

CFchampion said...

Very powerful quote.

I saw Cystic Fibrosis as one of your interests, do you have it?

I'm also a very big John Travolta van. He was my firt Celebrity crush, the first one never dies. :)

Rebecca,
http://www.freewebs.com/cflife

Christy said...

No, Joey... I don't have it, but my two girls do. Danielle is 14 and Sarah is 11. My natural father also died when I was two of "idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis", which we now believe was undiagnosed CF. I have read your blog and I am so glad you are in good health. God is good all the time, isn't He?
Namaste',
Christy