Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Waiting for Pablo


God speaks to me in two word commands. A couple of months ago, I remember being especially upset about something and I took my problem into meditation. Very clearly I received the message, "Seek me." So, I began a campaign of "wooing God" for 30 days. I was talking to God all the time.... In the grocery store, in the car, in the middle of class, in the bathroom... Just everywhere I go. More than that, though, I made a conscious decision to commit to meditating each day. In the simplest of terms, praying means talking to God and meditating means listening to God. But, alas, after that first earth-shattering "Seek me" message, all was quiet. Don't get me wrong. The meditation was nice and I believe it connected me to spirit, but I didn't receive any more crystal-clear, two-by-four type messages.

However, yesterday I did my normal routine of meditating, but like before, I brought a problem to God. We have had a terrible time finding an electrician. Everyone is absolutely swamped with work right now and most people I have called have either put me off or told me "No" outright. Even my regular electrician, Hacy, who has saved my house from the destiny of the ash pile on many occasions, is too busy to come right now. The other day, I got a card in my mailbox of a man, "Pablo", who according to his card, does everything. Well, I tossed the card aside and didn't think anything further of it. After all, isn't it important to give the work to local people? Pablo didn't even have a local number! But, I guess God doesn't care about telephone area codes because during my meditation, I clearly got the message, "Call Pablo".

Now, I must admit that initially, (gulp ~ head hung in shame) I ignored the message. I called the electrician that I had been chasing initially. I mean, after all, he is a bright and shiny, local electrician. But, that "fine young man" (as my mom calls him) is too busy to help me right now. So, on the way to Wal-Mart, kids in the car, I called Pablo. He didn't answer and I had to leave him a message, but he called me back post-haste and said he would be there right away. I had to beg forgiveness and ask for a later time since I had to make the journey to Wal-Mart and he agreed to meet me an hour later. I'm telling you, with great certainty what Pablo and I agreed upon, but I should explain that Pablo's English isn't the best, while my Spanish is non-existent. Thus, I'm not truly certain about the content of the entire conversation. Still, I was excited that I had finally reached someone who was willing to come and check out my wires!

The day rolled on. We returned from Wal-Mart. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that through a Divine Coincidence the tile people had a cancellation and will be able to lay my tile the day after Christmas! I am so thrilled! For the first time, I will have tile in my kitchen and dining room. It is going to be so awesome! Still, amidst the excitement of the tile, I waited for Pablo. I called Pablo two or three more times. Each time, I was assured he was coming. I'm sure by now you have guessed... He never showed up!

This morning in meditation, I gleened a thought... It wasn't a clear message, like before, but it was just a little idea. God told me to call Pablo. He never said he would come that day. Don't get me wrong, I haven't lost hope. I believe that Pablo, or some other Divine Electrician is going to show up for me. And, in the meantime, I have lots of very important stuff to do to fill the time.

I'm left wondering if I am only spiritually ready to receive a two word command from God. I think I am ready for a full dialogue, but maybe I would end up like one of those people wandering around Central Park in New York City. Ms. Lanham is a wonderful 3rd grade teacher at our school. To get the children's attention, she always says, "Are you listening? I hope you are listening." Well, God, just so you know... I'm listening.

~ Namaste'~ Christy

By the way, the picture is our kitchen before Katrina. I spent a lot of time painting the symbol of OM on the floor. I thought it would look neat if I smeared the OMs a little... Kind of abstract art. Dave and my brother, Tom, are convinced that smearing the OMs was bad kharma!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hello..I am Rebecca, i found you on Lauren's blog. I to am an adult living with CF and would be happy to help and encourage in anyway I can. From what I gather you are a young Mother with a daughter with CF. I want to encourage you that you are not alone my Parents have two children with CF and are the most amazing people I know, and they shine for Christ in a way they would have never been able to if they didn't have this huge and heavy burden on them, just like Sarah will and you will. "For this is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it."

Christy said...

Thanks, Rebecca... What a wonderful community of young people with CF I have found. You are all such inspirations. I have two girls, Danielle (13) and Sarah (10). Both have CF. I think cystic fibrosis helps us to be grateful for life and truly live each day to the fullest. I'm learning lots. Thanks for your comment.

Lauren said...

Have you heard of the Christian music duo called "Watermark"? They are a husband and wife team--Nathan and Christy Nockles. They're stuff is simple, yet impactful. One of my favorite songs by them repeats the phrase "seek me". You have to hear the song to fully appreciate it, but here are the lyrics:

Seek me,
And when you seek me
You will find me
And when you find me
You will know me
And I will not hold anything from you
Seek me,
And when you seek me
You will find me
And when you find me
You will know me
And I will not hold anything from you

Wake up to my sunrise
And tell me all your dreams
I will be the one to listen faithfully
I'm the one that sees in you
The glory of my son
So for you there is no other now
I'm the only one

CHORUS:
Come up to the table
That I've prepared for you
You don't have to be ashamed to come into my view
And you don't have to be afraid
That I will see those wounds
Cause my table covers everything
It will always cover you