Saturday, December 10, 2005

Recharging Energy and Metrosexuality



The picture is my husband, Dave, and his coaching friend, Marc. They were ripping out sheetrock sometime after the storm.

Sometimes I think my main job in life is to follow a saying of Mom's: "Don't just do something, stand there." It is incredibly difficult for me to "stand there" when I am uncomfortable. Much of my life is in a disarray right now. Often, that leads me to make changes when things might have been O.K. if I had just left everything alone. Now, don't get me wrong... I still have footwork to do.

Today, the footwork will involve hanging insulation and sheetrock, updating my checkbook and taking care of medical billing, and taking Sarah to the mall for a dance recital. It's easy for me to feel overwhelmed. Life is uncomfortable. I would rather be doing something else. But, it occurred to me yesterday that I wouldn't want to be anyone else. For the most part today, I am comfortable in my own skin. That hasn't always been the case with me.

The lesson I'm learning at work is that if I am truly comfortable with me, believe in what I'm doing, and stay true to the principles of Divine Truth, I need to be O.K. with everything else. Lately, I feel like some people are "displeased with me"... I'm working to remember that it is none of my business what others think of me. I know psychobabble... I speak it fluently. It's called people-pleasing. But, let me be clear... I don't believe that I am a people pleaser. I do things all day long that aren't necessarily pleasing to others. I suppose I am just weary from feeling under seige.

The other morning I was feeling particularly down-trodden when the thought came to me that I hadn't spent my quiet time in meditation. It is an absolute necessity that I spend time in prayer and meditation each day. I have been blessed to get that message from more than one source lately. (I have a rule that if I hear something 3 times, it is God talking...) I'm reading a book that addresses recharging my energy. And, yesterday, I stayed afterwork to talk to a friend. She mentioned the absolute necessity of having spiritual energy to draw from. It would be much easier if I had a charger like my cell phone. (But, I would be ashamed to admit how many times I let that thing run down!)

I do know that people emit certain energies and that attracts us to one another... My family teases me that I emit a "SpEd Vibe". But, truthfully, it does seem that those with special needs approach me readily out in public, when they don't approach my family or another person I might be with... I have gotten used to it. Strangers talk to me wherever I go.

The other night I was shopping while waiting for Sarah to finish dance class. This very southern gentleman trotted down the aisle after me calling, "Mam... Mam..."

I turned around and he was donning a lovely pair of black leather gloves. He held out his hands and asked, "Do you think these look girly?"

I replied, "No, I think they are very nice. They are too large to be ladies gloves." He responded by launching into a story about working at the shipyard, and that he can't wear anything that might look feminine because the guys would have a field day.

Remember, this is a very southern gentleman... But, I looked at him and said, "Now, you just go to that shipyard and tell those guys that you are a 'metrosexual'. You aren't effeminate, but you take care of yourself and you like nice, classy things."

He laughed; I wished him luck and walked away. I saw him later in another area of the store. He didn't have the gloves. When he saw me he said, "I can't say a word like 'metrosexual' at work."

Life is so fun when I am able to look at it and laugh about it.

No comments: