Thursday, December 29, 2005

My Dad Says She's a Lady, but I'm Sure She Wants to Eat Me


I'm a dreamer... In more ways than one. I always have these incredibly vivid, strange dreams that leave me wondering, "What in the world was that about?" Last night, I dreamt I was at a picnic with friends, family and co-workers. Everyone who is a part of my life was at this picnic.

Dave approached me and said, "Honey, you have to go on in about 30 minutes. Are you ready?"

I looked at him quizzically and replied, "Ready for what?"

He proceeded to explain that I was supposed to have written a song to perform and play on the guitar as entertainment at this picnic. Well, I started to stammer at him that first of all, I don't know how to play guitar and secondly I hadn't written a song. He just looked at me and said, "I'm sorry. You are on in 30 minutes. I hope you're ready. You can do it. It's no big deal."

Throughout the rest of the dream, I am fretfully trying to write a song. All the while, fabulous music that my friends and family have created is playing in the background. The first song I came up with was about seafood. As I got up to perform it, I completely forgot all the words I had thought of... So, the crowd gave me a few extra minutes to come up with something else. This is when the brilliant idea came to me that perhaps I should write it down. Finally, I began writing a song about 'Lady' the pitbull that used to live behind me before Katrina. The title was, "My Dad Says She's a 'Lady', but I'm Sure She Wants to Eat Me". It was to the tune of "The Chicken Dance".

I ended up performing the song acapella, with me singing a line and the crowd repeating it... It was fun and lively and everyone participated. So, somehow, after stressing and toiling, it was O.K. We all sang the song together.

This dream illustrates my life these days. Struggle alone or succeed together. The rebuilding process is all about togetherness. People are helping in ways that humble and astound me. Alone, I do nothing except fret and struggle. Fortunately, my friends and family have become a more inclusive group. Everyone is eager to help in whatever way they can.

Well, everyone except Pablo. He never came. But, my uncle Ricky, who I haven't seen in several years, showed up to save the day. He is going to relocate the stove for us. Unfortunately, we have to cut a gaping hole in the kitchen ceiling, but that will just be one less area where I have to scrape off popcorn. All will be happy to know that Ricky checked out my outside electrical box and said that for the time being, it will not burn the entire house down. Eventually, it will need to be replaced and rewired, but it won't hinder us from getting back into the house.

The kitchen and diningroom tile is complete. A couple, Randy and Jenny, did an absolutely beautiful job. They are going to return to lay the carpet and wood when we are ready. We have to wait until the walls are finished before we get the carpet put in. (Unless I want to vacuum an awful lot of drywall dust continuously.)

And, speaking of drywall dust, I would be remiss if I didn't mention "My Fabulous Husband and the Amazing Closet". Dave and two of his coaching friends, Marc and Pete, raised the slab in our garage to expand my master bedroom walk-in closet. Dave framed the closet up, with a little help from me, and wired two extra electrical outlets and a light switch! I'm am so proud of him, I could burst. My husband is a wonderful man, but he was previously an officer in the Navy. He attended the Naval Academy and served for 10 years. Now, he is a high school Math teacher and coach, but he still has many "officer tendencies" he works hard to overcome. Before he married me, my dear husband hired out all work that needed to be done. His mode of operation was to put his laundry by the door and have it reappear clean and ready. He was unaware that most people undergo a whole process to have things cleaned and pressed. Dave has not been what you might exactly call "handy". He tries hard, but he usually breaks whatever tool he happens to be using and blames it on "being poorly made". "American craftsmanship isn't what it used to be," according to Dave. His friend, Marc, described him the other day as a "bull in a telephone booth". I had to laugh because that is a very accurate description. He really doesn't know his own strength. But, somehow, with the help of friends and family, Dave has managed to build me a fabulous dressing room. When the process is complete and the house is back together, I will have a 12 x 12 dressing room in which to prepare myself for each delightful day.

My Christmas experience has been about rebuilding this year. Rather than stressing out about a tree and presents and all the other trappings of the holiday, we just opted out. Unity Church friends from Oregon and representatives from AstraZeneca made certain the girls had plenty to open on Christmas morning. We were further blessed to share the girls with their grandparents, Dad and Step-Mom on Christmas Day. Dan and Sarah are enjoying themselves in Birmingham and will return in the next couple of days. It has been nice to focus on recreating our home. Isn't that what Jesus came to teach us anyway? By honoring the Christ within, "home" is what we create within ourselves. The most wonderful lesson has been that every person who enters my home to help rebuild, nurtures my soul, helping to build a greater Christ consciousness within me. We have never had a year that has looked less like Christmas. But, I know in my heart, Christmas has been our experience each day since Katrina came, because of the people who have offered us hope and love, with no thought of compensation. We are blessed.

~Namaste'~ Christy

The picture is me.

No comments: