Monday, December 28, 2009

I Wanna Be Like Ernie, But I Must Admit, I'm Burt


These days, I watch a lot of Sesame Street. And, if you haven't watched lately, I recommend you tune in. It has changed the way I present material when I teach, but beyond that, it is just really entertaining. I also find it very enlightening. But, of course, that is my thing. I'm seeking enlightenment, and I can even find it while tuning into Micah's favorite program.


The thing that struck me this morning is the segment entitled, "Burt and Ernie's Great Adventures". It starts with Ernie singing while Burt's bed sprouts legs and starts to stomp and dance around the bedroom. Ernie is singing about lying in bed and is excited for the next great adventure that is coming. Burt, however, sits up in bed, alarmed, crying, "Oh, no. Not again!"


I'm trying to greet life with the child-like excitement of Ernie... Wow! A new adventure! How great. Get on board! But sometimes, I find myself being stuffy old Burt... Oh, no. Again? I don't want an adventure. I just want to sleep.


Danielle is being admitted into UAB tomorrow. The admission was moved up from the 11th because she is struggling to breathe again, but this will expedite matters with a transplant team appointment. So, for today, I'm being Ernie. Get on board! It's exciting! We are up for a new adventure!

No comments: