Monday, April 03, 2006

Growing Mushrooms and Looking at Statues



Well, here we sit in the hospital again. Dan and Sarah were both admitted on Friday. Danielle started running a fever last week after having taken oral antibiotics for two weeks. Sarah began complaining of back and chest pain. I called Dr. Sindel right away and got them in quickly. I think this time he has really had to work for his money. Since Sarah just got off I.V. antibiotics and Danielle was on very strong orals, he has had to work to create a treatment plan that will work for each of them.

He came by this morning and explained that Sarah seems to be having an allergic reaction to mold. (This isn't exactly what he said, but my layman's interpretation of what he said, since I would have to be taking notes to remember the doctor vocabulary.) Basically, he believes she is growing some type of fungus in her lungs. I have been teasing her saying she is growing mushrooms. Dr. Sindel is treating it with steroids and awaits lab results to see if an anti-fungal medication is needed. All of this while treating her with I.V. antibiotics and inhaled medications to treat the lung inflamation.

Grammy and Grampy, Randy's parents, came and spent the night with them on Saturday. Dave will be coming to stay tonight. It is so nice that everyone is able to chip in. The hospital can be so exhausting. People are coming and going all the time. I know I get bored and tired being in here. Imagine how the girls feel not being able to escape at all!

Overall, though, they are in good spirits. There is a wonderful school right here in the hospital. Mobile County Public Schools provide educational services to students who have been admitted. The classroom is called "Class Act". Ms. Anne Vella and Ms. Mary Day are the teachers. Ms. Anne teaches the lower grades and Ms. Day teaches the upper level. When the girls are admitted, the teachers fax a request to the schools for assignments. The girls' teachers send assignments to the office to be faxed to the hospital. The teachers work with all the children to help them complete assignments. The girls are busy during their time in the hospital and they don't get behind in their assignments. Students who attend Mobile County Schools are not even marked absent from school. For more information click: Class Act. There are volunteers who come to work with children, enrichment games and activities available on computer, and even "pet therapy".

We also take any opportunity to go walk in the park. There is a beautiful park on the grounds of the hospital. Statues of children in various states of play are located throughout. It is really great to be able to get out and walk around. If you would like to see the statues, click here: http://www.southalabama.edu/usacwh/childrenspark2.html

We also had some wonderful news first thing this morning. Our beloved cat, Suzy, returned this morning after having been missing for a couple of weeks. Dave said he spent the morning taking care of her since all of the other girls in the house are at the hospital. Dave usually wakes me up by bringing me a cup of coffee after getting Sarah in her vest. He heads off to the gym after making sure we are up and moving. Then, I know I have to get up and make Sarah reset her vest, and switch her treatment to saline. After she is finished I start Dan on her treatments and vest. Still, without Dave, we wouldn't get started on time since morning is definitely not my best time of day. I'm glad Dave had Suzy to tend to... I'm sure he is missing us.

Thanks to all for your prayer support. I have a friend who had brain surgery a couple of days ago. He always says, "God is loving us now." He really is, isn't He?

Namaste'~ Christy

The above pictures are the girls' favorite statues. Can you guess which statue goes with which girl? Hint: The little girl with her hand out has a frog behind her back in her unseen hand.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Christy,
I'll write more in an email to your personal address later, but I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry the girls are both admitted.

I also had a reaction to mold about 3 years ago. Is it aspergillus? Whatever you do, DON'T go on a mad internet search for info about it. The stuff you'll find will scare you senseless. (Voice of experience).

My doc put me on a regimen of Sporanox (the pill form is Vfend, and is from Pfizer). That has helped keep things under control.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. All my love to the girls.

<><

Christy said...

Kim,
Thanks for your comment. Sometimes I don't check them regularly. I will look you up! It is nice to meet someone else with two CF kids.

Namaste',
Christy