Saturday, January 28, 2006

Walls


We have walls! I remember how happy everyone was when The Berlin Wall was torn down. I am simply ecstatic that our walls have been re-erected. From a counseling perspective, it is all about "tearing down walls"... However, having not had any walls for several months, I can tell you that sometimes walls are necessary. Sitting on the commode while someone peers in at you can be rather disconcerting. Walls offer a certain amount of privacy and protection. Walls can also offer an opportunity to be prayerful and reflective. I'm thinking now of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall, or the Wailing Wall. We inserted Dave's journal entry about our Katrina experience into our living room wall. Someday, hopefully when we are gone, or much older, it will be opened and an opportunity for reflection will be provided.

I have been struggling with a little bout of depression this week. We had a guest counselor come to school Wednesday afternoon to discuss emotional effects of the hurricane. After leaving that presentation, I found myself needing to crawl into bed and pull the covers up over my head. Now, a counselor-type would say, "I was put in touch with emotions that I hadn't been in touch with previously..." Maybe that is true. But, maybe, just maybe... I needed whatever emotional wall I had built around myself just to be able to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I read a story in the paper this morning about a man who was forced from his home in New Orleans after the storm. Given the description of the gentleman, he may not have been a bastion of mental and emotional health. At any rate, he killed his fiance', critically wounded her four-year-old child, and finally shot himself. His actions left the couple's five-month-old baby an orphan. Don't get me wrong. I think that probably alcohol and/or drugs were involved. Maybe Katrina tore down whatever walls were holding his fragile psyche together. That is what I have noticed most about this hurricane recovery process. Everyone's true nature is being revealed.

I'm not much of a scripture quoter, but I know that Jesus encouraged people to enter into their "closet to pray". In a closet, you are surrounded by walls. Perhaps, that is the lesson. I need to keep the walls of spiritual truth around me, so I don't need to build emotional walls to protect myself. Being sure that God's will is being done for me and my family, even in the face of a lot of worldly ills can be difficult. But, I am quite sure that it is much more difficult without the walls of spirit protecting me.

A group from People Building People (www.peoplebuildingpeople.org) came out to help us erect our walls. They are pictured above. We are so grateful. We have been beautifully touched by so many people who have reached out to help us. Dave is downstairs sanding the laundryroom, so it will be ready to be painted. Imagine! I will have a working laundryroom and won't have to hike across the yard to Mom's house to do laundry each week!

Oh! And, just a little update about the nutritional supplements I started Danielle on... We ran out, so I didn't get more just to see how she would do. She has developed symptoms of a cold again this week. So, back to the health store I trudged. While I was there, I picked up some "Happy Camper" for me! No, kidding! That is really what it is called. Both girls are also doing hypertonic saline treatments twice a day. Lots of hype in the news about that recently. I'm curious if any other CFers are trying it and having good success.

Namaste' ~ Christy

1 comment:

Lauren said...

What an answer to prayer that you once again have walls! I will continue to pray that as your community rebuilds, God will give you the resources you need to rebuild the rest of your life's walls.

Hugs and prayers for you today.